31 May 2019

Week 2: 1-2 June


Week 2: Weekend
My team from Family Day
1 June, Saturday
On Saturday, I attended the school’s Family Day, where I helped organize and event participated in the events. It was so much fun seeing the students outside of the academic environment (even though the event was at the school) having fun with their parents and siblings. I participated in the events and games because there was a team needing an 8th person, which I became. I was reluctant at first, but I decided to continue anyway—and I am so glad I did! The only downside of this day was that I got sunburned for the first time here; I didn’t think that I would need sunscreen because it was a cloudy day and I thought I was going to be behind the scenes rather than out in the field with the students in the sun. However, I still enjoyed myself and seeing all the students and their families from different Latin American countries sharing their foods.

My passport with the stamp
from The Middle of the Earth
Me standing on the line that
divides the Earth
2 June, Sunday
On Sunday, I went to El Mitad del Mundo (Middle of the Earth) with my two friends who are from France Baya and Hilary. The travel there was fun, and I enjoyed all the views, the history, and the science. I tried a cocoa been, even though I knew that I don't like dark chocolate it was so bitter once I reached the center and I wanted to spit it out. While touring around there with my friends taking pictures, a little girl and her father approached me, asking if they can interview my friends and me for the girl’s school project. We agreed, however, I did the interview because the project was for the girl’s English class to practice her English, and I was the only one of the three of us to speak English. The girl’s dad recorded us with the monument in the background while his daughter asked me questions and I answered. I was very happy that I could help the little girl. The project was to go to a tourist location and interview a tourist in English, which she accomplished with me! Anyway, this day was very fun and I enjoyed it. We ate lunch before leaving. I wanted to try guinea pig--which is a common food here in Ecuador--but it was $25 for only a little bit of meat; I also couldn't split the price with my friends because they're both vegetarian (religious reasons). Instead, I had chicken fillet, which was really tasty! We then went to the "real" middle of the world with the "original" latitude line. I really enjoyed this one because there was a guided tour with fun activities/experiments to do on the north/south side, and then right on the line. One of them was that I held my index and thumb together and the guide tried to pull my fingers apart and she couldn't. And when I stepped on the line that was the middle of the earth, she easily pulled my fingers apart!--I was so surprised! And there were other "experiments" like walking across he line with your eyes clothes and both forces (North/South) tried to pull you, so you had no equilibrium. Another was testing the direction that water falls down a drain of a filled sink with petals in it; on either side, the water fell down either clockwise or counter-clockwise--which you could see with the petals--but on the center, the water fell straight down! We also learned about the Native tribes that lived (and some still live) in Ecuador--like the tribe that practiced head-shrinking! There were two real artifacts: one of a 12-year-old boy--which was the age of an adult back then in that culture--and of a sloth. It was really interesting and informative. After this tour and buying some souvenirs, we went toward the bus stop and ran because the bus was about to leave. We made it to the host home of Baya because it was close to the bus stop, and then Hilary and I took Ubers back to our host homes--Ubers are really popular in Ecuador because they'e much cheaper than taxis (and way cheaper here than in the United States!) I got home just in time for dinner, and then got ready for bed. It was a good day!
The "real" latitude line

No comments:

Post a Comment